Monday, February 25, 2008

Every Day Kindness















I'm still participating in Every Day Kindess but I find that lately, its coming to me a little differently. Instead of trying to figure out ideas for these acts of kindness, I just make myself aware so that when an opportunity to be kind arises I'm on it!

My little sister Jenny did my hair this weekend at her place. I don't get over there often as I'm a good thirty minutes away, but I always enjoy our little visits when I do. When I walked in she looked tired. I took a quick glance around her living room and complimented her on how clean and orderly it looked. She laughed and told me that she frantically ran around picking up while I was on my way. Then she told me not to judge the appearance of her bedroom and laughed.

As I was waiting on my color to set in - yes, I color my hair occasionally - I walked into her bedroom to talk to her while she got ready for work. Now, Jen has always been a clutter bug, but this time it had gotten pretty out of control. She works more than most single parents I know and I can't imagine she has time to shower, much more keep her place spotless. I suddenly got the kindness fever...

While she fixed her hair in the bathroom, I grabbed her laundry basket and went to picking up all the clothes on the floor and other surfaces. I threw away anything that looked like trash. I hung up all her loose hangers in her closet. I grabbed glass cleaner and worked over her mirrors and windows. She looked around the corner at me and shrieked for me to stoopppp!!! but there was no stopping me! So that she wouldn't feel bad I just told her that I suddenly had the craziest urge to clean and didn't she get that way sometimes?? I told her too bad I wasn't home cuz my place could really benefit. My family has pride issues but I know how to get around them. :)

Within 10 minutes her bedroom and bathroom were spotless. I think having that extra hand really helped her get motivated. She saw me picking up and we suddenly had this funny little race going on to be the person to do the next cleaning item in need. We're tards like that.

Anyway, the photo at the top of the post is actually of my bedroom. It was a time when I was so busy that I just could not find the time to pick up after myself. I remember crying when I finally talked myself into finally doing it.

Acts of kindness are everywhere, just waiting for you to bring them to life. You just have to keep your eyes and hearts open. This weekend, my sister needed a merry maid and I was there to help her out. She thanked me of course, but the idea of her coming home from work that night to a spotless bedroom was enough for me.

16 comments:

Rox said...

Mmmm what do you know about tiling? lol

Open Grove Claudia said...

Gosh, I hope your sister felt helped. Sometimes when things are so out of control, help feels like a put down. And it's so easy for everything to spin out of control - and so nice of you to think of being kind to her!
It is truly the effort that counts!

Hey, I tagged you for the message in a bottle meme.

Nocturnal said...

That is too cool Jillie, way to go helping out your little Sis.

Cheers

Jan said...

Hi Jilly! Jen told me what you did. I think you lit a fire under her hiney cause today she was spinning like a top getting it clean from top to bottom before work. Your Dad said...damn that place was spotless! hehe You are such an inspiration to us all! You're the bestest daughter!!
Love youuuuuuuu
xoxoxox

Polgara said...

I'm inspired, gonna do my bedroom when i get home!
GP x

Tex's Missus said...

RM....can I adopt you please ?? :)

Sister Copinherhair said...

Do you do toilets? ;)

Nicey said...

I like your style spreading the Karma because it will all come back to you

-Papa said...

I think you should change your blog name of "Random Moments" aka "RM" to "Random Acts of Kindness" aka "RAK," which I'm sure babers will love to use in a sentence. ;D

Doc said...

I really like the idea of every day kindness... I try and do little things all the time.

Kitty said...

I have a quote on my page: "Be kind whenever possible ... it is always possible" Uttered by the Dalai Lama, and a very sage piece of advice.

Good for you hun. x

Anonymous said...

I do that every time I go to my sisters... but she is MUCH worse than your sister will ever dream of being. It makes me gag a little actually.

And I asked her to move in with me... OMG!

Love what you guys are doing. I'm so proud of you... *tear*

Anonymous said...

Great act! I am having a hard time keeping yp with my Everyday Kindness. It's been hard since my grandma passed, but I'm trying.

I'm sure your sis really appreciated the help. Great job.

furiousBall said...

hey, you're a friend of Open Grove Claudia too! I have no clue how I got here, but yeah I'm in that everyday kindnessery as well.

Anonymous said...

You are the nicest person ever!

So nice in fact that I am willing to give you my address so the next time you are in the cleaning mood you can come over and surprise me.

Nature Girl said...

Will you be my sister? ;P
Stacie

Related Posts with Thumbnails