Monday, July 16, 2007

Inanimate Objects

This is a postcard that is displayed on one of my favorite websites, PostSecret. I got a lump in my throat when I saw this today because it reminds me of my childhood.

As a child, the final step of making my bed would be to strategically place all 31 of my stuffed animals on the bed. “Strategically” because I knew which animals were friends and which weren’t. (I wouldn’t dare place Tigger next to my stuffed mouse because he may get hungry for a little mouse snack during the day.) I also placed them on the bed because I thought it was more comfortable, and I thought they would be less likely to “get me” while I slept at night because in order to sleep in my bed, the 31 animals had to sleep on the floor. And who likes that?

Later on my sister began showing signs of believing the same thing. I had long since grown out of the idea that my stuffed animals were animate during the day, but found it so sweet that my sister thought the same, even though I had not been a part of creating this belief. I found myself positioning her stuffed animals while she was out of the room to back up her theory… Sometimes my toothbrush would be missing. Magically my little sis would find Cabbage Patch girl red-handed. Interrupted in a game of hide and seek by my sister’s presence, Raggedy Ann and Pooh Bear would be found peeking out from under her bed.

I had completely forgotten about this!! It amazes me, the things we share and do as siblings when we are young. It makes me want to have a sit-down with my sister and reminisce about all the silly things we did for one another. Or even better - pull some adult prankage on my sister now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is reason #28 of why my girlfriend is weird. But I still love you more and more everyday.

Anonymous said...

hahaha That is so cute!

you only have 28 reasons why you are weird? LOL!

V said...

I used to feel sorry for the animals I didn't play with. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails