The Building Blocks to a Super Healthy Diet
I'm in need of an intervention. Not so much one like that on tv where family & friends are trying to stop a bad behavior, but more like encourage or inspire a good behavior.
Like eating healthy and exercising.
Check out the link. Its pretty basic stuff from Zen Habits, one of my favorite sites and daily reads. But, even though this is basic knowledge, in the very stressful and busy time I'm going through in my life right now I need a reminder and constant inspiration.
I have been doing pretty well on my healthy eating most of the time, but here come the weekends and I'm all "I don't feeel like cooking" or I agree to share a bag of popcorn drowned in butter with J at the theatre. I cancel my good behavior out all the time.
I'm weak but I'm getting stronger. Like this week I made a mexican pie (below) that I'm eating off of all week in an attempt to keep me from straying. Below I'll share some meal ideas that I enjoy and hope that it gives inspiration to those who need a kickstart like me. Please share your healthy meal ideas if you got 'em, I need all the help I can get!
- 1 egg scrambled with onions, mushrooms, bell pepper & ff cheese. Sometimes I like to add a little salsa on top for variety
- 1 cup of oatmeal with berries & honey. I like to use frozen blueberries & thaw them out on the fridge over night. This keeps me from hitting the fruit stand every couple of days.
- Wheat toast with 1 tbsp all natural fruit spread with a banana
- cereal with sliced banana & a little sugar sub sweetner
- grilled cheese with ff cheese & whole wheat bread
- yogurt mixed with berries or granola
- string cheese - I love this stuff and its really low in fat & calories & very filling
- turkey weiners - sounds weird, but also low in fat & cal & very filling. Dip it in mustard for zing!
- apple & ff cheese
- pistachios or almonds
- 100 calorie can of fruit cocktail (Dole makes these)
Lunch or Dinner:
- mexican pie - layers of wheat tortillas, lean ground beef or chicken, black beans, corn, green onions & a little cheese (email me if you want entire recipe - its so good and great for leftovers!)
- grilled ham & cheese on wheat
- turkey burgers with whole wheat bread, tons of lettuce, onions, ff cheese & salsa
- soups - throw left over meat in a pot with mixed veggies & chicken broth and lots of seasonings like oregano, cumin and garlic. Or use one of those seasoning packets you use for making tacos or ranch dip. Yum!
That's all for now. Throw me some inspiration dear friends! Now, if only I can find inspiration to keep up the exercise...